About EHaz
How do I get involved?
Upcoming Events
What Students Do:
   Field Trips

   Short Courses


   Multi-University Classes

   Semester Exchanges


Evaluation Questionnaire
MTU International Programs
Geology, Geological Engineering and Geophysics Graduate Programs 

How Do I Get Involved?

 Who can participate?

The consortium universities are exchanging undergraduate and graduate students and faculty in several engineering and science disciplines (e.g. civil engineering, geological engineering, environmental engineering, and geology) involved and in the social sciences (political science, social science, and economics).

Experimental Classes:

The consortium has also been running experimental advanced classes using the internet, where students from many universities can share class experiences and use a variety of outside experts. The class this semester (spring 2006) is Supereruptions.

What kinds of exchanges can be done?

A study abroad consists of a one- or two-semester stay at a US, Mexican or Canadian university, including intensive language training, water resources coursework, and an internship. Study abroad is allowed only in the countries outside the student's host university. Students will register and pay the usual tuition and fees at their home university. Coursework credits are transferable.


Students will earn a stipend and most travel expenses will be paid.Short-term intensive courses are field hazards studies (two to three weeks) on earth hazards topics in the U.S. Canada or Mexico. Most field trip expenses will be paid for by the program. No language proficiency is required. The intensive courses are offered yearly, and may be taken at any of the partner universities.  Here is our planned schedule of field studies:

1.    May-June 2006   Restless Calderas of Western US: Long Valley and Yellowstone (led by US partners with help from other institutions)

2.    August-Sept 2007   Debris Avalanches and Landslides of the Cascade Range (US and Canada) and Canadian Rockies (led by Canadian Partners)


3.     May- June 2008   Active Convergent Plate Boundary Volcanism in Mexico (led by Mexican partners)


Evaluation Questionnaire - form for EHaz students to fill out to evaluate the exchange process.  
Questionnaire Contacts - Patty Kieckhafer and Emil Groth 

Why participate in this exchange?


At your host university, you will have access to expanded curricula. Your internship will provide research or practical experience. Most importantly, you will experience living within a different culture.



When can you go?

As soon as next semester (Summer 2006), but check with your international office for deadlines.

How can I find out about this opportunity?

Contact one of the people below--whomever is at your home University.

William I Rose (US Lead)                    

Michigan Technological University        

Geological Engineering & Sciences      

1400 Townsend Drive                                  

Houghton, MI 49931            

Tel: (906) 487-2367 

Fax: (906) 487-3371     

MTU Curricular Info  

International Programs & Services

For students who plan to come to MTU:

Saleha Suleman, Director

For MTU students who wish to go to Mexico or Canada:      Carl Blair, Study Abroad Director

Michael Sheridan                   

University at Buffalo                         

Geology Department

826 Natural Science Complex

North Campus Office: NSC 717

Buffalo, NY 14260

Tel: (716) 645-6800 

Fax: (716) 645-3999

Buffalo Curricular Info

International Exchanges

John Stix (Canada Lead)                    

McGill University                                         

Earth & Planetary Sciences               

3450 University Street                     

Montreal, Quebec H3A 2A7

Tel: (514) 398-5391 

Fax: (514) 398-4680

McGill Curricular Info

International Exchanges

Students who plan to come to McGill:  Linda Anderson, Student Exchange Officer

Glyn Williams-Jones                           

Simon Fraser University                                           

Earth Sciences Department

Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6

Tel: (604) 291-3306

Simon Fraser Curricular Info

International Programs

Hugo Delgado Granados (Mexico Lead)  

Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico              

Departamento de Vulcanología,  

Instituto de Geofísica

Ciudad Universitaria, 04510

Mexico DF 04510

Tel: (525) 622-4145 

Fax: (525) 550-2486

UNAM Curricular Info

UNAM Entry

Tonatiuh Dominguez                                 

Universidad de Colima                                 

Observatorio Vulcanológico de Colima

Av. Gonzalo de Sandoval 444

Colima, Colima CP. 28045  México

Tel: 52 312 316 1134 X 47208

Colima Curricular Info

International Programs

Colima observatory opportunities here for student exchange

Last Modified: 08/23/2006

Email Webmaster