A 2nd International Workshop:
Remote Sensing of Volcanic Eruption Clouds
June 8-12, 2003, MTU, Houghton, MI, USA
Houghton, Michigan (on Lake Superior in Upper Michigan).
Conveners and organizing committee:
Bill Rose (main organizer), Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI 49931 USA
(: +1 906 487 2367, 2: +1 906 487 3371
Gregg Bluth, Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI 49931 USA
Gary Ellrod, NOAA/NESDIS Camp Springs, MD 20746 USA
Luke Flynn, SOEST, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822 USA
Arlin Krueger, Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology, UMBC, Baltimore, MD 21250 USA
Fred Prata, Division of Atmospheric Research, CSIRO, Aspendale, Vic, Australia
Vince Realmuto, NASA JPL, Pasadena, CA 91109 USA
Dave Schneider , USGS Alaska Volcano Observatory, Anchorage, AK 99508 USA
Matt Watson, Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI 49931 USA
Objectives for the conference:
· Improving and expanding the use of satellite-based remote sensing data for hazard mitigation and other research purposes.
· Full discussion of important case studies of eruptions of the past 20 years, based on retrospective work, with an aim to build experience.
· Discussing improvements in various tools of volcanic cloud sensing, tracking (IR atmospheric corrections, MODIS, TOMS AI, ATSR)
· Discussion of what is expected soon (SEVIRI, ASTER, ABI) - what is ultimately needed or hoped for?
· What strategies might work for western hemisphere VC sensing given loss of split window GOES, 2003-2007?
· Helping with communication between those interested in such data, addressing data access issues, software, etc.
· How does a volcanic cloud crisis affect airline operations, and how does understanding of this help us mitigate these hazards? (case studies)
· CD-roms for participants, containing the workshop presentations, will be provided to all participants.
· The volcanic clouds website, currently under development will be improved, prior to the workshop, for better communications.
· An informal volcanic clouds web mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org) is currently operational - suggestions for improvement will be fielded.
Logistics, Costs and Agenda:
First workshop: This is the second time we have planned such an event. You can look over the first workshop webpage also, including a list of attendees.
Directions: Directions for travelling to and finding Michigan Tech and Houghton, contact Matt Watson or Bill Rose to arrange an airport pick up. The local airport is Hancock, Michigan, 7 miles away (airport code CMX) and the air carrier is Mesaba Northwest Airlines (or Continental code shares).
Map: Campus Map of Michigan Tech.
Expected cost of the workshop: about $450/person including room and board in campus dormitory housing, conference meals and banquet but not including travel costs to and from Houghton, Michigan.
Support: We plan to be able to support travel for graduate students to this workshop and applications (to Bill Rose) for the workshop by interested students is encouraged.
Data Sharing: Data for the workshop can be ftp’d using these instructions
Agenda: Agenda for the workshop is here