Rabaul Update: October 4, 1994
Summary of telephone conversation between CVO staff and
the USGS/VDAP team at the Rabaul Volcano Observatory (RVO)
at 1430 hr PDT on Tuesday, October 4, 1994.
- Eruptive activity at Tavurvur is continuing at about the same level as yesterday.
Ashfall in Rabaul is a nuisance rather than a hazard at this time.
- Seismicity includes mostly small explosion events at Tavurvur every 1-2 minutes.
The recorded signals look like shallow LP events.
- Yesterday, the team installed an electronic tiltmeter and a seismometer at Matupit
Island. Data from both instruments are being recorded at the Observatory.
- The team plans to install a seismometer near Vulcan today. Access will be by
road, not helicopter.
- The RVO staff thinks that the strongest eruptive activity in this episode is
probably over, although Tavurvur could remain active for months to years.
- The next update from the VDAP team is scheduled for Thursday, October 6 PDT,
with immediate updates if conditions warrant.