Text Box: Graduate students wanted!
We are seeking energetic, independent, responsible students to join this project as Ph.D. and Masterís candidates. We have research assistantships for both levels each year. Strong language skills in Spanish is a plus; significant work in Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama, or Costa Rica should be expected.
The candidate will be expected to help develop their own research directions in conjunction with the project goals.
We are seeking candidates with interests in one or more of the following areas:
Natural hazards 
	volcanology, seismology, slope stability, hazard mitigation
Hydrogeological engineering 
		groundwater, surface water, wastewater treatment
Remote sensing 
		ground-based, satellite, geophysical methods

Volunteer and a Masterís candidate in Natural Hazard Mitigation or Resource Protection. Students spend one year in residence on campus, two years in the field as Peace Corps Volunteers, then return to Michigan Tech to complete their Masterís. This program places highly trained students in key areas in these countries to become the ďexperts on the groundĒ, crucial components in developing practical remote sensing applications.

This new Peace Corps Masterís International program is the only one of itís kind in the nation! It features a long-term field assignment in Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama, Costar Rica, or Nicaragua as both a Peace Corps

Michigan Technological University

Department of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences

Dow Environmental Sciences and Engineering Building

1400 Townsend Dr., Houghton, MI  44931-1295  

phone: 906.487.2531  fax: 906.487.3371


Contact webmaster


Michigan Technological University is an equal opportunity educational institution/equal opportunity employer.


Text Box: Project Home#
Text Box: Project Home#

Masterís students talk to local Nicaraguans about groundwater use.

For more information, go to the PCMI page

Peace Corps MI Program contact: Dr. Bill Rose

Ready to Apply to MTU Graduate School?
For information and application materials, please go to the following:

1. Department of Geological and Mining Engineering and Sciences

Follow the "Graduate and Research Programs" link to graduate application instructions.

1. Be sure to indicate your interest in this project in your application.

2. Questions? Contact us

Combine a Master's Degree and Peace Corps Service?