Hebard Stone Quarry

Although flooded and filled with groundwater, redstone and ledges representing remnants of quarrying operations are visible here.

This quarry is named for Charles and Edward Hebard, logging company executives who began the quarrying at Hebard (Traverse Bay Redstone) about 1895 and sold the operation to the Mohawk Mining Company after 1901. The quarry was located along the railroad from the Mohawk Mines to the Gay Mill. Stone from the quarry was used for buildings in Mohawk and Gay.

Copper Country Explorer